Prepare to take your extractions to the next level…
Ai Separatory Funnels are now available!
Overview: A separatory funnel is used in liquid-liquid extractions to separate the components of the mixture into two non-uniform solvent phases of different densities. These solvents form a clear line of separation between the two liquids. The more dense liquid sinks to the bottom and can be drained out through a valve, while the less dense liquid remains in the funnel.
But how does it work? Read on! 😉
→ Tips for using Ai Separatory Funnels
• The funnel size should be twice the volume of the solution being extracted, plus the extraction solvent. When adding liquids, support the funnel with the ring stand, and make sure that the bottom valve is in the closed position.
• Add the solution to be extracted, then add the extracting solvent.
• Stopper the funnel and carefully remove it from the ring stand. While holding the top stopper in place, gently swirl the solutions. (Do not shake, as an undesirable emulsion may form.)
• While the funnel is inverted, open the bottom valve to release any built up pressure. Close the bottom valve and continue to swirl the liquids. Release the pressure once more. Repeat these steps several times, until the liquids have become adequately mixed.
• Place the funnel back into the ring stand and remove the top stopper. Wait for the liquids to separate by density.
• Once separated, carefully open the bottom valve to remove the bottom layer. Close the valve as soon as the top layer reaches the bottom of the funnel.