Essential for the activation of certain moleules, this process is key for edible and topical products, as well as an important work-up step for distillate, conversions, and isolates.
What is Decarboxylation?
The process of decarboxylation involves breaking a carboxylic acid chain from a given molecule. This reaction causes the non-activated compounds to become active. The most common method for achieving decarboxylation is the application of heat or combustion. A key example is THCA vs THC, the vast majority of cannabinoids found on the growing plant have the carboxylic acid group bound to them, and are thus not psychoactive as is, when the THCA on the plant is smoked it is decarboxylated into THC thus causing the desired effects. The same is the case for topical and ingestible products, if an oil is not decarboxylated properly, it will not provide the desired effects when ingested or applied.
While it is not uncommon to see raw plant material being placed in a forced air oven, or vacuum oven, the primary point of decarboxylation is after a crude oil has been extracted. Traditionally the bench top process is done in beakers along with stirring hotplates, while the scaled-up version is done in jacketed reactors. A key advantage of decarboxylating in a jacketed reactor is that the application of vacuum will allow for the process to be done at a lower temperature than on a hot plate. Additionally, any terpenes or remaining solvent will be condensed and re-collected.
Reactor decarb package
Ai R-series single/dual jacketed glass reactors are designed for synthetic reaction of different types of materials in a controlled temperature and vacuum environment. Each reactor features adjustable stirring speeds and a constant pressure feeding funnel that allows you to add material to the vessel at a uniform and controlled speed. The built-in condenser makes it possible to recover some materials, also at a controlled rate of speed.
- Now includes a FREE high quality thermo insulation jacket (a $699 value) with open/close viewing window and top/bottom adjustable drawstrings, specially designed and made for Ai glass jacketed reactors. These jackets will extend chiller life, allow you to go down to a lower temperature, and also cut your utility bill.
- Dual jacketed model allows you to draw vacuum from the outer jacket, thus protects your recirculating fluid temperature and gives you best control over your work. It also help prevents frost to form on the outside of the vessel, allowing you to see clearly into your material.
- Solvent-resistant PTFE on all sealing components ensures long time durability and operation.
- All glassware is hand-made from food grade high borosilicate glass that is heat/cold/corrosion-resistant.
- Adjustable stirring rate provides great torque or high speed.
- Patented PTFE stirring rod bearing for reliable and quiet operation.
- Optional multi-layer stirring blades for optimal reaction results.
- Wide range of temperature operations, from -110F to 400F.
- Large condenser cooling surface for exceptional condensation performance.
- Rugged stainless steel reinforced PTFE stirrer with anchored agitator, suitable for a wide range of viscous materials.
- Easily visual operation with digital speed and temperature displays.
- Heavy duty stainless steel supporting framework with lockable casters for mobility and stability. (whole support and glass vessel shipped pre-assembled)
- One year warranty and lifetime US-based parts, service, and support.
Stirring Hot plates & Beakers
Magnetic stirrers are often used in chemistry and biology. They are preferred over gear-driven motorized stirrers because they are quieter, more efficient, and have no moving external parts to break or wear out (other than the simple bar magnet itself). Because of its small size, a stirring bar is more easily cleaned and sterilized than other stirring devices. They do not require lubricants which could contaminate the reaction vessel and the product. They can be used inside hermetically closed vessels or systems, without the need for complicated rotary seals. Magnetic stirrers may also include a hot plate or some other means for heating the liquid.
Forced Air Oven
Ai 14.5 cu ft forced air ovens use a microcontroller to enhance precision, accuracy and uniformity. Memory function retains all your settings when power is down and resumes previous oven operation when power is back up. Alarm can be set to trigger when current temperature is outside of desired range.
- Great for medical device drying and sterilization.
- Built-in temperature calibration.
- Forced-air circulation combined with digital temperature control achieves dependable and uniform environment for a variety of laboratory applications.
- Corrosion resistant stainless steel interior finish with toughened double glazing observation window.
- Gentle downward flow along chamber wall provides less disruption to sample material.
- Adjustable moisture escape port.
- Overheat protection automatically cuts power when temperature is beyond limit or sensor fails.
Lets Get Started
Please complete the form below.